School holidays are a time for students to relax and recharge after a busy term of learning. However, for school staff, the holidays can be a flurry of activity as they prepare for the new academic year. One important task is ensuring that the school has enough educational school furniture to accommodate the new intake of students. This can be a challenge, as many schools experience a surge in enrolments at the start of the year. As a result, it is important to order furniture well in advance to avoid any last-minute scrambling. By planning ahead and working with a reputable supplier, you can ensure that your school is fully equipped and ready for the new academic year.
There are a few things that you can do to ensure that your space is welcoming and conducive to learning. First, take a good look at your furniture. Is it comfortable and in good condition? If not, consider replacing it. Next, take a look at your colour scheme. Is it calming and inviting? If not, consider repainting. Finally, take a look at your decor. Does it reflect the interests of your students? If not, consider rearranging or adding new items. By taking these simple steps, you can help create a space that is both comfortable and inviting for your students.
Helpful Checklist – Educational School Furniture
One of the most important aspects of any learning space is the furniture and equipment that is used. It is important to choose items that are adaptable and can be easily moved or rearranged to suit the lesson being taught. This allows for a more dynamic classroom environment where the students can be actively engaged in the learning process. There are a wide variety of adaptable furniture and equipment available on the market, so it is important to take the time to research your options and choose items that will best suit the needs of your particular learning space.
Our 10-point checklist will help ensure you don’t overlook anything you may need to provide creative spaces that support your learning ethos.
Classroom Tables and Chairs
- Do you have enough suitably sized ergonomic chairs, stools, and tables for each classroom?
When it comes to classroom furniture, comfort and safety should be top priorities. Comfortable age-appropriate classroom furniture helps to create a welcoming area that gives more opportunity for interaction between staff and the students, all in a safe and supportive learning environment.
In addition, classroom furniture should be arranged in a way that promotes collaboration and interaction between students. For example, desks could be arranged in groups so that students can work together on projects. By creating a comfortable and inviting classroom, we can encourage students to interact and engage in their learning.
- Have you got adequate classroom tray units and storage for each learning area? Moveable, versatile storage is a great way to keep your classroom organised, whether tray units are used for resources including books and stationery, toys and games, or safe storage of student reading and exercise books, storage trays can be purchased in a variety of sizes including shallow and deep trays, all available in a variety of colours which can help brighten or fit-into a colour themed room.
Lockers & Storagewall
- What about corridor storage?
Lockers for safe storage of personal belongings.
Storage walls that will create extra storage space to keep equipment, files, books, or create a room divide. And don’t forget your corridor noticeboards and pinboards to display artwork, notices, and instructions!
School Canteen and Refectory Furniture
- Don’t overlook your school dining room furniture requirements. Canteens are often used for multiple different purposes throughout the school term, so it’s a good opportunity to ensure your furniture is lightweight yet durable and can be easily manoeuvred on a daily basis. Have you got enough dining tables, chairs, or bench tables and seats to cater for the new intake?
Early Years Outdoor Furniture – Educational School Furniture
- Have you thought about extending your SEN and Early Years learning space outside? Outdoor furniture can help divide space with the added benefit of helping children enjoy their natural surroundings in an innovative environment. Products include imaginative play furniture, and outdoor tables and benches.
Assembly Hall Seating and Staging
- Will you need new staging for the all-important assemblies and in preparation to help showcase all your little stars at this year’s Christmas performance? It may seem a little early to be thinking about staging for the festive season, but like exam furniture, peak purchasing season availability and lead times can increase so its always a good idea to think ahead and be prepared, as your options and choices will also not be limited due to supply chain and distribution issues.
- The summer holidays are a great time to transform a new or existing library environment. Here at COI, we can help from concept through to delivery and installation, including library design. In addition to our library project management services, we can supply a vast range of library shelving and bookcases, StoryWalls, display units, counters, signage, artwork, and noticeboards.
- Summer breaks are also a great time to get on top of your administration offices. Does your team have enough desk space and storage? Are your operator’s chairs comfortable and suitable for daily use? Does your current filing and pigeonhole system work efficiently? Admin offices and reception areas need to be functional and suitably equipped to ensure the hub of the school provides a welcoming and inviting space for visitors and where teachers and the team can collaborate. Admin offices should also include secure storage, and could include a private area for sensitive or confidential meetings and phone calls.
Student Breakout and Study Areas
- Are your student breakout and study areas welcoming?
Creative breakout furniture is a great way to create a diverse setting that encourages productivity, improves interaction, and in turn, helps improves student wellbeing. Breakout furniture for common rooms or spaces away from the classroom can include soft seating, high-back sofas, seating booths and pods, study desks, and social tables.
- And lastly, don’t forget the staff room. Your team deserves a welcoming space of sanctuary away from the classroom. This space is where they can brainstorm, mark homework or simply recharge. Is your current staff room a hospitable area with soft seating such as sofas, modular seating that can be freely moved around, various heights of tables for collaboration, or locker space for the safe storage of coats and bags?
Creating your ideal learning space
At Combined Office Interiors, we have been supplying schools of all sizes for over 20 years, delivering top-quality educational furniture and equipment across the UK. And as independent educational furniture specialists, we have everything you need to make a well-informed procurement decision, with transparent pricing and great value products from some of the UK’s leading educational manufacturers including KI, Mettaliform, Titan, Spaceforme, Spaceright, Willowbrook, Hille, Gopak, Lion Lockers to name but a few.
As well as providing a comprehensive choice of furniture, we have a complete range of added-value services, including:
- Free advice and consultancy– our expert team will help you make the best choices for your school furniture needs.
- Delivery and installation service– we’ll take care of everything! We have a full delivery and installation service that takes the hassle out of getting your new furniture setup.
- Free space planning & design– let us help you create a learning environment that’s perfect for your students.
- School holiday deliveries– we can deliver during school holidays so that disruption is kept to a minimum.
Get in touch – Educational School Furniture
So, as the current academic year comes to an end, have you got everything you will need ready for the new intake of students in September? If the answer is no, don’t panic! Get in touch today to check product availability, and delivery lead times, or to book a site visit.
You can also check out our comprehensive range of great-priced classroom furniture in our new Just for Education Brochure. Inside you will find a broad range of classroom chairs, desks and storage, study furniture, refectory tables, chairs, and benching, lockers and cloakroom, library services, and storagewall solutions.
Please also feel free to view our educational school furniture galleries for inspiration and ideas to enhance your learning environment.
Last Updated on November 7, 2023