The Do chair range is a trusted and celebrated design by renowned UK manufacturer, Orangebox and for many years this stylish range of task-back seating has consistently topped sales charts. With its distinct ergonomic design and superior comfort, it’s no surprise why it has earned its reputation as a chair that can be trusted and is suitable for all.
But, with climate change and demand for more environmentally friendly furniture solutions at the forefront of many businesses, the Do chair has been reimagined and designed with a dramatically reduced carbon footprint using improved components and materials, along with enhanced manufacturing advances.
This range has now been suitably renamed as – ‘Do Better’. A fitting name, for a chair that aspires to do just as it suggests. Let’s get to know more about the improved specification and the thinking behind this range in more detail…
Eco-friendly Do Better – Workspace Task Chair
The Do chair is perfectly made for people of all shapes and sizes, it is adaptable, flexible, and a perfect solution especially for shared workspaces.
Do offers a full range of adjustments, delivered more simply and with fewer controls making it easier to use and better for a wider scale of people and their ergonomic requirements. The chair is also supplied without a back-lock as standard to encourage movement and blood flow, while always being fully supportive where you need it.
Further chair features include:
- The chair’s mesh back frame adapts to each user’s body shape, with the single-skin mesh offering better temperature control and breathability than a traditional upholstered back.
- Good lumbar support is standard. The flexible lumbar support pad has 100mm of adjustment and is easy to operate when seated in the chair.
- Intuitive controls include seat slide, seat height adjustment, and seat depth.
- Do comes with a weight balancing mechanism that adapts to any size of user. This means no tension adjustments are required.
- The optional travel limiter allows the back to recline to three different angles. This ensures it can only be locked in the upright position.
The Do Better Environmentally Friendly Benefits
We’ve already learnt the ‘Do’ task chair was already a popular choice for many for use in offices, collaboration suites, meeting rooms, and hybrid offices, so it makes complete sense to improve the chairs ‘make-up’ in line with consumer demand with an improved sustainable option for the more environmentally conscious.
Orangebox has considered every element, from the components to the manufacturing process and design, and has been meticulously reimagined and reformulated to produce this eco-friendly chair which boasts 58% recycled content, 98% recyclable content, and a carbon footprint of 40.6kgCO2e.
The recipe for success
Here’s the result of the Do Better diet which has helped save up to 40% less CO2e.
- Serves – suitable for anyone. This chair is super adaptable and flexible to meet the needs of users.
- Prep time – this chair is delivered fully assembled, meaning no fuss or mess.
- Taste – we can supply a choice of fabrics from our environmentally friendly range.
Eco-friendly Do Better Chair – Ingredients:
- 5942g – Nylon (recycled polymer content between 70% and 95%)
- 3372g – Steel (typically recycled content around 56%)
- 2504g – Polypropylene (between 50% and 75% recycled content)
- 911g – Aluminium (recycled content around 96%)
- 680g – PU foam (free from halogenated fire retardants)
- 427g – TPU (virgin polymer currently but Orangebox is working on a recycled alternative)
- 120g – Polymer mesh
- 50g – Low-density polyethylene (30% recycled content)
- 43g – POM (virgin polymer)
- 10g – Reconstructed foam (100% recycled, free from Persistent Organic Pollutants)
- 7g – Natural rubber
So, how has Orangebox de-carbonised the Do Better task chair?
Orangebox’s de-carbonisation efforts have focused on three specific waste streams to obtain recycled materials, and they include:
- Pro-consumer waste – waste generated from a variety of manufacturing processes, for example, waste fibres and yarns from the production of carpets and vehicle airbags that can be re-used as feedstock for the creation of new materials.
- Post-consumer waste – waste materials from domestic recycling, for example, packaging used for cleaning products that can be recovered and reprocessed.
- Landfill Waste – waste materials that were previously considered economically unviable are now being reprocessed into high-quality materials for reuse. This not only reduces the need for new materials but also prevents the significant emission of methane gas that would occur if the waste was left in a landfill.
Designed to be re-made
The Do chair appears to have it all, but what happens when the chair comes to the end of its useful life cycle?
In support of closed-loop cycles, the materials used to manufacture the Do chair, along with the components have already been identified and redesigned so each part can be utilised and easily disassembled, preparing the Do chair for its second lease of life.
The ‘re-made’ solution provides a greatly reduced carbon footprint compared to new and all chairs are supported by a warranty.
Eco-friendly Do Better Chair – Summary:
We think you will agree that the new and improved Do Better task chair is an office game changer. With its reduced carbon footprint and enhanced design that doesn’t compromise on function and performance, this chair is a great choice for eco-conscious offices. Our rating? A perfect 10 out of 10.
If it’s time to elevate your office seating experience – get in touch, we’d be happy to provide further details.
Last Updated on September 5, 2023