Posted on 30th October 2019
With long hours spent at work, busy social lives and family commitments taking over our evening and weekend time, how do people find time to exercise?
I have often contemplated how I could improve my exercise levels along with gaining a better work-life balance, and whilst exploring and researching the big wide web of knowledge I discovered ‘Deskercise’, yes you read it, Deskercise (it really is a thing!).
Some exercise is better than none, right? The endorphins released during exercise can help improve our wellbeing, whilst giving the body and mind a boost, so introducing a few simple exercises that we can easily achieve alongside the bonus of burning a few calories from the comfort of our office workstation made perfect sense to me, so I had to share some of the great advice, routines and day-to-day changes with you… try it, you might enjoy it (it’s probably a good idea for me to mention at this point you will not gain a six-pack, and all exercises are taken at your own risk! ).
Your daily workspace routine
1. Start your ‘sit-down’ exercise with a toe tap! With your heal on the floor, tap your toes for a total of 25-30 times. Next, do the same toe tap, but use your heal as a pivot point and toe tap, side to side a further 25-30 times.
2. Reach for the ceiling! A good stretch is known to relieve tension. Sit up straight, raise your arms over your head and join your hands together, lean to the left (or right) and hold each time for around 10 to 20 seconds.
3. Calf raises! Sit up straight in your office chair, with your shoulders resting on the office chair back. With your feet flat on the floor, raise your heels off the floor as far as possible then lower your heels back to the floor. Repeat a further 10-15 times.
4. Finish your chair routine with some neck rotations. Drop your chin towards your chest and roll your neck in a circular motion for 20 seconds. Raise your chin up and bend your neck from left to right. Repeat for a further 20 seconds.
Let’s get moving
5. Water weights. You can adapt everyday simple exercises like overhead presses or bicep curls by using a full bottle of water as a weight.
6. Wall sits. Rest your back against a wall and move your feet away from the wall. The wall should be supporting the weight of your back and your knees should be bent. Hold the position for as long as possible.
7. Take the stairs. By opting to take the stairs you will increase your heart rate, burn calories and strengthen leg muscles.
8. Walk the office. Walk around the inside of the office or down the hallway as fast as you can without running. Use your water weights to increase the intensity of your exercise.
Cut out the unhealthy snacks
9. So, we’ve got your office exercises sorted, but to enhance weight loss perhaps it’s time to hide the visitors’ sweet bowl and remove tempting tea-break biscuits from your drawer!
10. Swap your sugary snacks for nuts, seeds, yogurts or fruit.
11. Drink water throughout the day to keep hydrated and energised.
Are you sitting comfortably?
To eliminate any unnecessary aches and pains, you must have a suitable office chair that provides you with good ergonomic posture support throughout the day.
As a DSE provider, we can provide complimentary DSE, workstation and seating assessments either at your workplace or in one of our fully stocked showrooms. Contact COI to book a consultation.